About Us

Mesa Union School District History

A Brief History of Mesa Union School District

Mesa School 75th AnniversaryMesa Union School District has served the children and families in this area since 1939, when Del Norte School District and Center School District merged to form one district.  Eight acres were purchased for $500 per acre from Mrs. Phillips, and in 1939, Mesa Union School was built.  The original school consisted of three buildings and the custodian’s home.  Three teachers taught 68 students.  As the number of students increased, the school facilities grew. In 1951, two new classrooms, a cafeteria, and office were added.  In 1951, the first kindergarten class was started; two additional rooms were constructed in 1956. Six additional classrooms were added in 1964, followed by six more in 1968. With the advent of class size reduction, four new classrooms were added in 1997 and 1998.

Today, Mesa Union School provides a first-class education for 663 students in grades K-8. The board has overseen modernization projects to provide classroom environments that reflect twenty-first century teaching and learning. In November 2002, our community passed Proposition H – a local school bond.  Augmented with state Proposition 47 monies, Prop H funded modernization and construction of a state-of-the-art computer lab, library, science lab and multi-purpose room. In 2008, local residents passed Measure A, which provided a PE room, play fields, parking lot upgrades and a traffic light at the school entrance.

In 2015, the district celebrates its 75th anniversary. A special day has been organized for a reunion on May 16, 2015. For more information about the event, visit the 75th Anniversary Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007064734470 .